Part-time: 2-3 years
Start Date: September 2018
Applications are now closed for 2018-19 entry, please register an interest to be alerted when applications open for 2019-20 entry.
The MSt offers high quality training in practical ethics, drawing on the internationally recognised expertise of Oxford’s Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, the Ethox Centre and the Faculty of Philosophy.
This new course run by the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics in the Faculty of Philosophy, and the Department for Continuing Education, provides training in practical ethics through flexible, part-time learning.
The course is highly interdisciplinary in character but the primary focus is ethical and philosophical. It focuses on the application of rigorous philosophical analysis to real-life ethical problems and provides a grounding in ethical concepts and methods, as well as in major debates in practical ethics. Students will also have the opportunity for in-depth research on a topic of their choice.
Who is the course for?
The course is relevant to students from a range of professional backgrounds, including medicine and other health sciences, cognitive science, philosophy, bioethics and the legal and public policy sectors.
The MSt in Practical Ethics is a part-time course consisting of six taught modules and a dissertation. Students will be assigned a tutor throughout the taught elements of the course.
- Ethical Concepts and Methods
- Well-Being, Disability and Enhancement
- Philosophy, Psychiatry and Mental Health
- Ethics of the Beginning and End of Life
- Research Ethics and Empirical Ethics
Each module will be taught over an intensive residential teaching week in Oxford to include lectures, seminars, discussion groups and student presentations. Modules are normally provided in clusters, offering students options around the number of visits to Oxford each year. Online materials are available including essential readings, texts and online lectures, alongside forums where students can communicate and continue discussion when away from Oxford.
- provides high quality training in practical ethics, drawing on the considerable teaching and research strengths of Oxford in this area.
- offers students the opportunity to develop their critical thinking and analytical skills, and to build an in-depth knowledge of contemporary ethical and philosophical issues.
- is designed to accommodate philosophy graduates wanting to specialise in practical ethics and professionals with a background in other relevant areas (e.g. medicine or law) who either wish to transition to practical ethics or who desire training in practical ethics to supplement their career.
- is flexible, allowing students to complete the course part-time with short but intensive teaching sessions in Oxford, allowing employed professionals to complete the degree without disruption to their careers.
- covers a wide range of topics within practical ethics, including both core issues in bioethics and medical ethics and emerging areas of research such as neuroethics and the philosophy of mental health.
- is research-led, taught by (and informed by the research of) leading contributors to current debates in practical ethics.
For full details, visit https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/about/mst-in-practical-ethics