The Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics hosts scholars and students wishing to engage in research in practical and applied ethics as academic visitors. The duration of visits is normally 1-3 terms. Each term at Oxford lasts for eight weeks. Shorter visits depend on the availability of workspace.
The aim of our visitor programmes is to connect Oxford’s academic community with visitors from the U.K. and abroad by providing connections to faculty members, giving access to university facilities and libraries, and encouraging participation in workshops, seminars and conferences. The Centre also organises social events to encourage visitors to meet each other. Applicants are expected to show a clearly defined research plan that directly pertains to the Centre’s activities. Before departing the Centre, visitors are expected to provide a brief report (A4 one page) summarising what was accomplished during their time in Oxford.
We currently run four academic visitor programmes:
2. The Visiting Student Programme is primarily for graduate students working on practical and applied ethics. Prospective visitors will normally be expected to apply for Recognised Student status via the University’s Recognised Student programme which involves payment of fees to the University. Further information is available at https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/other-options-for-graduates?wssl=1 . Exceptionally, graduate or advanced undergraduate students may be accepted as informal visitors for periods of less than one month outside of the Recognised Student status. No fees are payable for this status. Informal visitors receive no University Card and no access to specialist libraries in Oxford. They can obtain a Bodleian Reader’s Card for a small fee which will allow access to the Bodleian Library. The Centre cannot provide financial support to any of its visiting students; all applicants must secure external funding for their time in Oxford.
4. The Oxford-Uehiro-St Cross Visiting Programme has been established by the Uehiro Foundation on Ethics and Education with a view to providing opportunities for graduate students, postdoctoral and senior academics who are ordinarily resident in Japan to study or conduct research at the University of Oxford for nine or twelve months as a Visiting Scholar. The visiting programme aims to provide career development opportunities for those who are at a relatively early stage of their academic careers.
How to Apply
Applications are invited three times a year. We aim to take 4 – 5 visitors every term, although the specific number depends on the availability of workspace. Please note that desk space cannot be guaranteed, though we will endeavour to provide it where possible. Applications are open for one month in advance of the deadlines (shown below), which are set at the beginning of week 0 of each term. Applications are to be submitted at least one term in advance of the proposed dates of the visit.
If you wish to apply for the Visiting Scholars Programme or Visiting Student Programme, please download the relevant form here:
A panel of the Centre staff will meet during week 0 – 1 to decide on the successful applicants. We consider the applicant’s qualifications, past achievements and future prospects, proposed research and its thematic connection to the activities of the Centre.
Visiting Scholars Programme application deadlines (one term in advance of proposed visit dates)
- For visits commencing in Hilary Term 2018 the deadline is Monday 2 October 2017
- For visits commencing in Trinity Term 2018 the deadline is Monday 8 January 2018
- For visits commencing in Michaelmas Term 2018 the deadline is Monday 16 April 2018
- For visits commencing in Hilary Term 2019 the deadline is Monday 1 October 2018
- For visits commencing in Trinity Term 2019 the deadline is Monday 7 January 2019
Visiting Student Programme application deadlines (two terms in advance of proposed visit dates)*
- For visits commencing in Trinity Term 2018 the deadline is Monday 2 October 2017
- For visits commencing in Michaelmas Term 2018 the deadline is Monday 8 January 2018
- For visits commencing in Hilary Term 2019 the deadline is Monday 16 April 2018
- For visits commencing in Trinity Term 2019 the deadline is Monday 1 October 2018
- For visits commencing in Michaelmas Term 2019 the deadline is Monday 7 January 2019
* Applications for an informal student visit of up to one month can be made in accordance with the Visiting Scholar deadlines (i.e. one term in advance), as can EU/Swiss nationals applying for Recognised Student status. However in the latter case we do recommend two terms in advance to avoid a rushed request for subsequent University approval of Recognised Student status.